How to Add a Shutdown (Power Off) Button to Your Desktop on Linux Mint 21
Users of Linux Mint 21 may have observed that there is no shutdown (power down) button by default on the desktop. This can be annoying if you are accustomed to having quick access to the power off button. Thankfully, it is possible to add a shutdown button to your desktop. In this article, we will explain the procedure in detail.
Step 1: Install the Required Package
The first step is installing the necessary package. Open the terminal and enter the command below:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
This command will install the GNOME panel, which is required for the shutdown button to be added to the desktop.
Step 2: Add the Shutdown Button
Follow the steps below to add the shutdown button to your desktop after you have installed the GNOME panel:
- Right-click on the desktop and select “Create Launcher”.
- In the “Create Launcher” window, enter the following information:
- Type: “Application”
- Name: “Shutdown”
- Command: “gnome-session-quit –power-off”
- Click “OK” to create the launcher.
- Right-click on the newly created launcher and select “Properties”.
- In the “Properties” window, click on the icon to select a custom icon for the launcher. You can use any icon you like.
- Click “Close” to save the changes.
Step 3: Test the Shutdown Button
After adding the shutdown button, it is essential to test it to ensure its functionality. To accomplish this, click the shutdown button and wait for the computer to shut down. You have successfully added a shutdown button to your desktop if all goes as planned.
Here are some extra ideas for maximizing the use of the shutdown button:
- You can add additional buttons to your desktop, such as a restart or lock screen button, by following steps identical to those detailed in this article.
- Following the actions mentioned in Step 2 will allow you to modify the icon of the shutdown button.
- If you want to shut down your computer using the command line, you can do so by entering the following command in the terminal: shutdown
sudo shutdown -h now
This command will shut down your computer immediately.
If you want your post to appear on the first page of Google for the term “How to Add a Shutdown (Power Down) Button to Your Desktop in Linux Mint 21,” you should follow these SEO guidelines:
- Incorporate the keyword in the article’s title, the opening paragraph, and throughout the body of the text.
- Employ subheadings to divide the text and make it more readable.
- Add pertinent photographs and videos to assist in illustrating the steps.
- Employ alt tags for your photos and videos to assist Google in understanding the page’s content.
- Ensure that your article contains at least 2,000 words to provide Google with sufficient material.
By adhering to these guidelines, you can increase the likelihood that your post will rank on the first page of Google and reach a larger audience.
Adding a shutdown button to your Linux Mint 21 desktop is a straightforward task that can be performed in a few steps. By following the methods indicated in this article, you may add a shutdown button to your desktop and enjoy the ease of being able to shut down your computer with a single click.
We appreciate your reading this article. We hope this was useful.